reating a perfect portrait takes a little planning. Fine portraiture
captures facial expressions and mood, while clothing, accessories,
and props are secondary and shouldn't create any distractions.
Careful selection of these will avoid dating your portraits.
white background will show off skin tones best when white, ivory
or pastels are worn. Be sure to select props that match clothing
color. While the colorful pose is a great secondary portrait
for a child's playroom, it may not be suitable for a "timeless"
"This is a 'timeless'
portrait.... clothing and props have been well chosen."
ith only two subjects in the portrait, it is especially important
to dress in the same color(s) to capture their relationship.
||"A light suit
and can add
ith business attire a pure white shirt or blouse with a dark
suit jacket will emphasize your neck rather than your face. Pastel,
thin striped, or soft patterned shirt with subtle tie is preferable.
You may want to bring extra clothing and accessories "just
in case", and we will help you decide if something else
would coordinate better.
hold your eye."
s a background, the outdoors is very busy. It is important to
choose only one or two theme colors, with your subjects wearing
shades of those colors. While blues are excellent all year, white,
ivory, khaki and salmon are great against such lush green foliage.
Burgundy, brown, tan, and gray are nice late in the season. Avoid
all greens, as they clash with Mother Nature.
"Simplicity of two colors
in hard to
hen you follow these tips and coordinate your dress from head
to toe, you are well on your way to a perfect portrait!
red tie and
- Avoid busy patterns and bright colors.
- Light colors are best with light backgrounds and fair complexions.
- Darker colors look better with deep backgrounds and dark
hair or complexions.
- White, ivory, khaki, or pastels are best with a white background.
- Avoid wearing yellow or green as they can adversely affect
- Shoes or socks should be in key.
- Teens and adults should wear long sleeves to cover elbows.
- Skirts should cover the knees.